NEW YORK CITY – Just a few days after the New York Post confirmed there would be plenty of layoffs at Clear Channel on January 20, the Wall Street Journal reports similar findings.
A subscription is required to view the full article online, but the free preview says Clear Channel plans to cut 7% of its U.S. workforce — that’s about 1,500 nationwide. The WSJ says most of the cuts are believed to be in sales, but it also says CC aims to “replace more local shows with syndicated content.”
– January 16: NY Post: Clear Channel Plans Revamp
– Inside Music Media: At Clear Channel, Less is Finally Less
– thevillevoice.com: Anxious Times for Clear Channel Staffers
– Audio Graphics: Clear Channel Action Could Damage Radio Industry
– thevillevoice.com: Clear Channel’s Under-the-Radar News Release Plan
– John Gorman: Clear Channel’s Firing Squad