CNYRadio.com and CNYTVNews.com are looking for volunteers to help supplement our coverage of local broadcasting. Whether you’re a college student looking to add some writing samples to your portfolio, or you simply wish there was more coverage of certain topic areas, this could be a great opportunity for you.
For the most part, this website has been operated by one person. While I’m very thankful for all the news releases and “hot tips” sent in by station managers, staffers and readers, everything still requires some level of action on my part before it gets published to the site.
Because I have a full-time job and other commitments in my life, stories are sometimes delayed, sometimes missed completely, or sometimes stories aren’t given as much attention as they might truly deserve. It is my hope that the addition of some volunteers will help in terms of both newsgathering and in advancing the timeliness and quality of material posted to the site.
Requirements / Duties
- Must be located in the CNYRadio.com (Syracuse, Utica, Ithaca) or CNYTVNews.com (Syracuse, Utica) coverage area.
- Regularly monitor local radio and/or TV for newsworthy developments.
- Contact station officials (on-air personalities, management, etc.) to request information needed to complete your story assignments.
- Must be able to write in clear, conversational language with proper spelling and grammar.
- Must be able to write accurate, unbiased stories.
- Familiarity with content management software (such as WordPress, Drupal, Movable Type, etc.).
- Familiarity with writing style guidelines (such as AP Stylebook, MLA, APA, etc.).
- Be located in Utica or Ithaca — areas we can’t monitor as closely as we can Syracuse.
All writers will be properly recognized for their work with bylines which appear on every story they write.
College students may be able to earn academic credit, if your school agrees that your work qualifies as an internship or an independent study. Even if you cannot earn credit, you’ll still have some writing samples for your portfolio.
Other than the above, as mentioned in the very first sentence of this article, the positions are volunteer. This site is operated out mostly out of an interest to public service, rather than profit generation. Revenue from the Google ads is basically wiped out by hosting fees and domain registrations.
How to Apply
Send a brief introduction of yourself and why you’d like to join our writing team to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume and prior writing samples are optional; if you choose to include either, please attach as a Word or PDF file (or a link to view online). Please also note the following two requirements:
- Please disclose all past or present experience with professional broadcasting/media outlets. This includes internships, part-time or full-time employment.
- College students: If you plan to earn college credit for your work, please state where you’re going to school, what requirements you must satisfy (such as number of hours worked), and any other details I may need to know.
There is no deadline for me specifically, but college students may need to be mindful of deadlines set by your own school in order to register for credits. Applications for writing positions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.