SYRACUSE — Longtime NewsChannel 9 anchor Rod Wood is spending the next three to six weeks at home, after the station says he underwent prostate cancer surgery earlier this week. But he’ll be back on TV briefly next week, telling his story during a series of reports on prostate cancer.
In a statement published on 9WSYR.COM, the station says doctors removed the cancer during Monday’s four-hour surgery. This coming Monday, the ABC affiliate will air a series of reports between 5:00 and 6:30, during which Wood and his doctor will discuss how early screening saved the anchor’s life. The station will also report on the latest technology being used in surgery.
Wood started his broadcasting career with a short stint at WOLF in 1963, shortly after returning to Syracuse following three years in the Army. He later worked for WNDR and WHEN before joining channel 9 in 1976. Along with countless awards for his work, Wood’s been part of the Syracuse Press Club’s Wall of Distinction since 2001.
NewsChannel 9 is asking fans to respect Rod’s privacy while recovering by not contacting him directly. Rather, well-wishers can send their messages to the station. Until Rod returns to work, his longtime early evening co-anchor Carrie Lazarus will be filling in on the 11:00pm newscast.