SYRACUSE — Journalism majors who maintain a permanent address anywhere within the Syracuse Press Club’s 21-county service area are invited to apply for the club’s annual DeVesty-Williams scholarship. Applications are being accepted now for the $2,000 award and materials should be submitted as soon as possible.
Here’s the full announcement SPC 2nd Vice President Joseph Picciotto recently posted online:
The Syracuse Press Club is pleased to announce its annual DeVesty-Williams Scholarship. This scholarship will be awarded to one, full-time undergraduate student majoring in print or broadcast journalism in a college/university in the Syracuse Press Club service area
The student must also be a permanent resident of one of the following counties in the Syracuse Press Club service area: Onondaga, Madison, Cortland, Cayuga, Oswego, Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Lewis, Herkimer, Oneida, Otsego, Delaware, Chenango, Broome, Tioga, Chemung, Tompkins, Wayne, Seneca, Schuyler and Yates. A student’s college residence is not considered a permanent residence. All students who fit the above criteria are encouraged to apply.
The scholarship recipient will be selected based on academic achievement, involvement in extracurricular activities and/or work experience, a personal statement, two work samples and two letters of reference.
1. On a separate sheet, provide your name, address, phone number(s), e-mail address, college attending, major field of study, extracurricular activities and/or work experience -OR- submit a resume which includes this information.
2. Attach a copy of your most recent college transcript.
3. Provide a one-page personal statement: Why did you choose journalism as your area of study? What role do you feel journalism will play in your future?
4. Enclose two work samples (print or broadcast quality, and/or photographs).
5. Provide two letters of reference. These may be from professors, employers, intern sponsors or others who can attest to your qualifications and achievements.
6. Send your application materials to our address at
Syracuse Press Club
PO Box 5424
Syracuse NY 13220-5424
or E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All materials MUST be submitted in one package or one email message. Otherwise, the application will not be considered.