SYRACUSE — When a news organization is “on top of stuff” every day, that’s usually thanks in great part to its assignment editors. They’re the folks behind the scenes who keep an eye out for things that might be newsworthy, and decide how the station’s going to get it all covered. If it sounds like your cup of tea, YNN happens to be looking for one right now.
Of course, the description above is just a very brief, generalized overview — there’s a lot more in the official description from YNN’s owner, Time Warner Cable:
Responsible for supervising and coordinating the news gathering process, researching, verifying and bringing breaking stories on air.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
• Maintains contact with outside news agencies, police and fire departments, EMS scanners and other sources regarding developing news items and possible stories.
• Watches content of other news stations to make certain that we have the news also.
• Updates producers of developing news stories.
• Prepares rundown of news stories and assignment sheets.
• Follows-up on news tips to decide what is news worthy and what is not.
• Determines priority and assigns coverage to news units.
• Assigns work to researchers, news assistants and truck operators.
• Communicates with news-gathering staff on assignment.
• Coordinates activities of reporters and their crews, including arranging live shots, on-scenes, distributions of equipment and transportation.
• Assists reporters by setting up and scheduling interviews and providing details of interview including directions to interview location.
• Originates ideas for news stories.
• Decides which breaking news stories are newsworthy
• Helps develop stories.
• Directs reporters in the process of collecting elements for their stories.
• Assists in making decisions on news coverage.
• Confers with Assignment Manager, producers, reporters to coordinate production activities.
• Answers phone lines, screens calls and identifies potential stories.
• Researches story data, summarize and enter data into PC.
• Maintains PC data files and constantly keeps them up to date as new information develops.
• Is available to staff on an as needed basis to provide research information.
• Keeps up to date on current events through various sources, such as media, newspapers, radio, etc.
• Verifies news stories by researching and calling sources, interviewing and confirming information.
• Maintains daily contact with various news stations and other assignment desks.
• Provides up-to-date information to other news departments on breaking stories or other story information in data bank.
Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
– College Degree required.
– Some experience in news stations.
Only applicants who apply online at www.timewarnercable.com/careers will be considered.
Time Warner Cable supports a drug-free environment and is EOE M/F/V/D.
CNYRadio.com and CNYTVNews.com are pleased to share the word on employment opportunities at broadcast outlets within our coverage area. It’s a FREE public service to both employers and job seekers, and it’s one more recruitment source you can add to your station’s FCC public file reports. Send your job postings to firstname.lastname@example.org.